Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Amy Rivard  (Read 2545 times)
CWazyTom
Nella Fantasia

CWazy Canadian, Chlovër for life!

« on: October 19, 2016, 01:02:18 AM »

Amy Rivard was a choir member in Celtic Woman for a while and appeared in the Songs from the Heart special / DVD.

For those who don't know her music, I'd encourage you to check out her site. All the songs from her albums are on there: http://amyrivard.com/music

(don't forget to check out her alter ego Candy Canadiana too)

Amy Rivard interview with Miss D on Miss D's Luna Si (E32)
Oct 6, 2016
https://soundcloud.com/user-713838141-902043381/e32-amy-rivard-2016-10-06

Miss D and Amy, discuss her songs and music which she writes and performs. Her start was in musical theatre with “Riverdance” and “Camelot.” They cover her performing on Silverseas Cruise lines, meeting her biological family, her vocal group Celtic Woman, her alter-ego Candy Canadiana, and play three of her songs, “My Turn to Shine,” “Carry Me,” and “Where I Am.”
www.AmyRivard.com

In my opinion, this is definitely worth a listen.

They cover a lot of ground in this interview. It will be very informative for people that don't know Amy Rivard's story and it will be entertaining for anyone. Her journey is really inspirational. She's a fantastic singer, a great storyteller and a very sweet human being.

~~ "What's yours can't pass you by" ~~ Amy Rivard

Scott
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 11:47:52 AM »

Yup, here's a link to the first episode of "Candy Canadiana".  Still funny after all these years. Cheesy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Gwl1jCHRtY

But calling out from deep within
A soft voice whispers a quiet prayer
To carry you through darkest times
And calm the storm of grim despair

CWazyTom
Nella Fantasia

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2016, 12:56:33 AM »

Hahaha!

I think that's may favourite episode.

Moscapoet

Chlovers rock!

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2016, 07:55:45 PM »

I have a very soft spot in my heart for Amy. She was the first CW artist i ever met. It was the Christmas DVD recording at The Helix in 2007. It was on my trip home where we met in the Dublin airport. I did not know it at the time. She sat next to me and using her laptop. I asked her if she would watch my items while I used the sandbox. She snickered at that and said she would. I came back and thanked her and we said no more. But she did look familiar. I had a seat at the recording on the house left wing where the stage jutted out. I was second row and the closest of ten seats to the stage only a few feet from the piano. Amy was right there several times. Upon arrival in Chicago some other fans asked me if I wanted to chat with one of the choir members as we were gathering our luggage. It was her! We had a nice chat as we made our way from international to domestic terminals. We parted for our flights and she gave me a nice hug and we had a photo together. I have her first CD and the download of her second album. I've always been a supporter for her and we chat all the time. At some point I do hope to get to NYC where she performs regularly at small venues and events.   

Thanks, Destiny!
CWazyTom
Nella Fantasia

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 12:29:00 AM »

I have a very soft spot in my heart for Amy. She was the first CW artist i ever met. It was the Christmas DVD recording at The Helix in 2007. It was on my trip home where we met in the Dublin airport. I did not know it at the time. She sat next to me and using her laptop. I asked her if she would watch my items while I used the sandbox. She snickered at that and said she would. I came back and thanked her and we said no more. But she did look familiar. I had a seat at the recording on the house left wing where the stage jutted out. I was second row and the closest of ten seats to the stage only a few feet from the piano. Amy was right there several times. Upon arrival in Chicago some other fans asked me if I wanted to chat with one of the choir members as we were gathering our luggage. It was her! We had a nice chat as we made our way from international to domestic terminals. We parted for our flights and she gave me a nice hug and we had a photo together. I have her first CD and the download of her second album. I've always been a supporter for her and we chat all the time. At some point I do hope to get to NYC where she performs regularly at small venues and events.    

That is a neat story.

I feel like I need to share mine. I apologize in advance, this is going to be lengthy and unedited...

I grew up less than an hour from Chatham and I went to the same University that she went to. I started University there about 4 years after she graduated, if memory serves (sometimes it does not) and I was in Business / Computer Science so it's unlikely I would have bumped into her, even if we were going at the same time.

I didn't always follow Celtic Woman as closely as I do now. If you recall my backstory from the forums, it took me a long, long time before I finally saw one of their specials. Many years. Before that, I was useless to them as a fan. I knew they sounded amazing, but I hadn't heard most of their work. I'd just seen some clips on YouTube. I didn't know anything else about Celtic Woman, much less about members of their choir.

As a side-note, just to put things in perspective, I didn't follow any performers or groups closely before then. To this date, Celtic Woman, their spin-offs, and some of Chloë's friends are the only performers I have ever followed diligently.

Back to the story: I remember reading about Amy in the University's Alumni Newsletter while I still got it. I remember it mentioning a New Journey (I was still upset at the time about having missed it when it was on, but still had no idea what I was truly missing). So it was likely either mentioning Amy's role in A Christmas Celebration or Songs from the Heart. But at the time, I wasn't yet hooked on Celtic Woman and that was in the middle of a really deep and length period of depression, so I wasn't in the mindset to out of my way to find out more about them at the time.

I forgot about it for quite a while. Even after I finally became a real Celtic Woman fan, it was a while before I got so engrossed (some who know me would say obsessed and they would probably be right) that I started looking up past Choir members and came across some YouTube videos of Amy Rivard. Needless to say, she completely blew me away! Her voice is just spectacular and she seems very sweet.

Imagine my surprise when I read where she was from. A few of her What's Up Canuck (Candy Canadiana videos) were done at places I had got to on field trips as a kid or were literally within 20 minutes of where I grew up. I recalled that Alumni Newsletter from a while back and realized how close our paths had come without ever crossing. One of my favourite choir members from my favourite group ever by far.

It honestly doesn't compute in my mind that someone I would grow to admire so much as a singer and as a human being grew up that close to me and I never knew it until she had moved on from Celtic Woman and to New York.

My mindset for so long just wasn't in a place where I would ever go see a concert much less meet a performer, no matter how amazing they were. I'm not sure if this will make any sense, but I love Celtic Woman so very much that it fills me with deep regret to think of all the opportunities I missed to see them perform and meet them and tell them how much their music meant to me.

I'm better now than I was starting late last year, I started making my dreams come true. I finally saw a Celtic Woman concert (yes, I know ... almost 12 years...). I finally met other Celtic Woman fans, something I honestly feel has filled a massive void for me. At long last, I met Chloë. I'm hoping to meet Susan, Mairead Carlin, Eabha, and Tara (fingers crossed the StageAndGreet works out) in a few weeks. And although I may not ever get to meet Lisa, seeing her perform live next year was still something that was beyond my wildest dreams only a short time ago.

With that in mind, Amy Rivard has to be one of the people I want to meet the most in this world. New York is a long way away (especially for someone like me that's lived in a bubble of wretched routine for so long). But now that I've made a commitment to go to Atlanta to see Lisa in Georgia, New York doesn't feel so far anymore. I think perhaps next year will be the year I finally get to meet Amy. Cheesy
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 02:44:41 AM by CWazyTom » Logged

Scott
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2016, 12:51:21 AM »

Thanks for your thoughts on this, gentlemen.  We have been so privileged to have met Chloe; there are many fans who have never had that chance and simply can't because circumstances make it impossible.  And don't feel bad, Tom: even after meeting Chloe more than a dozen times over the years, I still haven't had a chance to tell Chloe what exactly her music has meant to me, because it would have taken just a few minutes too long to tell at a mere Meet & Greet.

I am going to sound like a heretic here now: I met Chloe Agnew and Lisa Kelly on the same night.  It feels like a century ago.  It was in Wallingford Connecticut, at a relatively rare five-girl Meet & Greet.  Understand that Chloe always has been and almost certainly always will be my favorite.  She was the one that lured me into Celtic Woman, and I was totally excited to meet her.  Sure, I was looking forward to meeting the other girls as well, but I figured that meeting Chloe would be the "centerpiece" of the M&G as far as I was concerned.  Pretty much, it was.  

But to this day it still surprises me how much of an impression Lisa Kelly made on me at that M&G.  She made a greater impression on me than even Chloe had.  I have never met anyone like Lisa, before or since.  She has the most genuinely outgoing personality I have ever met.  My later occasions of meeting Lisa only reinforced my first impression. It's totally understandable how she succeeds as a teacher; I think she could even make a good politician.  Anyway, those are my thoughts of tonight. Smiley

« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 12:55:44 AM by Scott » Logged

CWazyTom
Nella Fantasia

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2016, 01:45:46 AM »

Thanks for your thoughts on this, gentlemen.  We have been so privileged to have met Chloe; there are many fans who have never had that chance and simply can't because circumstances make it impossible.  And don't feel bad, Tom: even after meeting Chloe more than a dozen times over the years, I still haven't had a chance to tell Chloe what exactly her music has meant to me, because it would have taken just a few minutes too long to tell at a mere Meet & Greet.

I am going to sound like a heretic here now: I met Chloe Agnew and Lisa Kelly on the same night.  It feels like a century ago.  It was in Wallingford Connecticut, at a relatively rare five-girl Meet & Greet.  Understand that Chloe always has been and almost certainly always will be my favorite.  She was the one that lured me into Celtic Woman, and I was totally excited to meet her.  Sure, I was looking forward to meeting the other girls as well, but I figured that meeting Chloe would be the "centerpiece" of the M&G as far as I was concerned.  Pretty much, it was.  

But to this day it still surprises me how much of an impression Lisa Kelly made on me at that M&G.  She made a greater impression on me than even Chloe had.  I have never met anyone like Lisa, before or since.  She has the most genuinely outgoing personality I have ever met.  My later occasions of meeting Lisa only reinforced my first impression. It's totally understandable how she succeeds as a teacher; I think she could even make a good politician.  Anyway, those are my thoughts of tonight. Smiley

I really enjoy reading these. Very insightful.

One comment though: please don't become a politician Lisa. Lol.

Someone like Lisa in charge would seem like a dream. But my concerns would be:

1. She's too nice for politics. I'm not sure if we have any Star Trek (Original Series) fans here, but I'm reminded of one of the revelations in City on the Edge of Forever regarding there being a "time" and place for benevolence. That warning applies mostly to the upper levels of government, but it's something worth considering.

2. I'm afraid politics would twist and destroy our beloved Lisa. At the risk of introducing / twisting another sci-fi reference, Politics is a path to the dark side (though it wasn't explicitly mentioned in the franchise). Again, this becomes far more prevalent at higher levels of government, where lobbyists, special interests, and all that other nasty stuff come in to play.

Perhaps one day though our society will be ready and deserving of someone like Lisa.

Scott
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2016, 11:13:24 PM »

1. She's too nice for politics. I'm not sure if we have any Star Trek (Original Series) fans here, but I'm reminded of one of the revelations in City on the Edge of Forever regarding there being a "time" and place for benevolence. That warning applies mostly to the upper levels of government, but it's something worth considering.

2. I'm afraid politics would twist and destroy our beloved Lisa. At the risk of introducing / twisting another sci-fi reference, Politics is a path to the dark side (though it wasn't explicitly mentioned in the franchise). Again, this becomes far more prevalent at higher levels of government, where lobbyists, special interests, and all that other nasty stuff come in to play.

Perhaps one day though our society will be ready and deserving of someone like Lisa.

You raise a good point.  And actually the politics in which she could thrive would be lower levels of government, where the lobbyists, special interests, and other nasty stuff you alluded to are less prevalent.  Wink

CWazyTom
Nella Fantasia

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2016, 07:39:16 PM »

You raise a good point.  And actually the politics in which she could thrive would be lower levels of government, where the lobbyists, special interests, and other nasty stuff you alluded to are less prevalent.  Wink

If she ever ran somewhere where I could vote, I would vote for her.

...Unless Chloë was also running. That would get interesting, but it would probably be the most fun election ever! Candidates joking on stage and breaking out into song instead of debating. Yeah, I could go for that about now...

Moscapoet

Chlovers rock!

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2016, 02:49:23 PM »

Interesting comments, both of you. Tom, your story is not at all unusual. I have been hearing such stories from many fans over the years. Some of them were tales of literally life saving ones. I do hope you will get to meet Amy at some point and I look forward to seeing you at Peachtree City.

Thanks, Destiny!
CWazyTom
Nella Fantasia

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2016, 11:56:26 AM »

Amy and I are in the same town right now.

I'm trying to set something up. I think there's a good chance this is going to work this time.  Wink

Scott
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2016, 09:15:01 PM »

Amy and I are in the same town right now.

I'm trying to set something up. I think there's a good chance this is going to work this time.  Wink

Best wishes Tom, and hope you met her! Smiley

CWazyTom
Nella Fantasia

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2016, 11:18:34 AM »

Not this time, BUT, I did accomplish some very important things:
1. Amy knows where I'm from now
2. She knows I really want to meet her
3. She really wants to meet

So next time we can plan a little more in advance. I'm going to meet her. Just a matter of time.  Cheesy

CWazyTom
Nella Fantasia

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2018, 07:32:03 PM »

On September 29, 2017, I finally met Amy Rivard at the Astor Room in New York and saw her perform live!

I showed up before her show to meet her and to give her some gifts. She really liked them, especially the card.  I got Candy Canadiana her own gifts too. Cheesy I didn't get to meet Candy, but she was apparently very appreciative.  I also got Amy to sign some pics for me and she even gave me some swag!

Amy took me on a tour of the Astor Room. I didn't get to see the basement, but I had to save something for the next time, right?

I also got to meet someone else from my home town (I'll give you a hint, it's the same as Amy's) that happened to be in New York to see Amy on the same night. It's a small world.

I stayed for Amy's whole show and I really enjoyed it. Performing with Amy were Georgia Weber on double-bass and a new piano player she was performing with for the first time that night. I thought the set was great and of course, Amy sounded fantastic. She was very funny as well.

I got to meet Georgia after the show on the subway too!

Here's a video clip I took of her performing at The Astor Room:

https://youtu.be/K4XO8Ac7aoc

I have quite a few more video clips, but apparently never got around to editing and uploading them.  Roll Eyes

Here's a few of my pics:

I even got one of my photos posted in a magazine in Queens  Shocked

I definitely want to go back and see Amy again!

I got to meet Amy twice more since then:
- Last Christmas, just outside our hometown.
- This week, when I got to be part of her music video shoot!

It's absolutely crazy it took so long for me to meet her but I'm really glad I finally did!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: